Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Typical Malayalee behaviour

I do not know whether any other group of people on a geographical basis other than Keralites have a strange behaviour pattern by which nobody wants any body else to prosper or do well in his career,profession or business.We malayalees(People of Kerala origin) do not want any one known to us even related to us or even from same native place to do well in life except of course I myself or maximum members of my family.Even a brother or sister doing well cannot be tolerated.May be a son or daughter doing well can be tolerated even though there are cases where father did not like son to grow higher than him.

In the last week at my Ootty site one  malayalee worker became unhappy with another malayalee worker doing another type of work simply because the other found out the cheating ways of this man.Man who did the cheating did not consider his actions as wrong.He considered it as only his cleverness in managing crooked ways to make more money.Having realised that he is caught red handed in his crooked ways,he simply cannot quit the job and leave the place.He wanted the other worker engaged in different activity to be made to look like a crook by owner of the house under construction.Here the owner happened to be a non Malayalee and hence with a different behaviour pattern.

He approached the owner and started telling lies and stories of wrong doing by the other man simply to malign him and thus make him also out of work just like him.You will be surprised to hear the reaction of our non malayalee owner-“You are both coming from same place Kerala and then why are you trying to find fault with him?Is what you are doing correct? Do not talk to me like this again.I know how to assess you and the other person properly without your assistance and guidance”

See this is how we Malayalees behave.We are like  crabs each trying hard not to let the other climb up.You do everything possible to pull down the other person.People in other places become happy to see that some one among them is becoming famous, rich or reaching better status in life.For us exactly that is the most unhappy thing to happen in our life.

Once I met a friend of a person for whom I have designed and built a house.He told me-“I wanted you to do my house.But when I approached my friend and your client he told me that you are too busy and hence better look for somebody else.I found out another person and he did a lousy job.” In fact my client and his friend never told me about it.He did not want me to do house of his friend as he thought I will become too busy to spend time on his work.

Every one who has seen house designed and built by me at Irinjalakuda including of course owners of the house has appreciated my work.But the lady who came and met me at my office several times persuading me to take up the work told me after completion of the house-“Three of my relatives wanted me to tell you to take up their construction work.I advised them against it as you will  delay our work and their work if you take up those works also”

I wanted to  see inner details of a house near my office done by another Architect just to see and study something new or different he might have done.Even though lady of the house agreed to show me the house,on both occasions I went she pretended busy and told me to come some other time and finally I have given up that idea.She does not want any one especially another Architect to copy whatever better features her house has.

All these I have written to show that we Malayalees do not want  any body else to do well and we are extremely selfish.Even in politics when A.K.Antony was Chief minister of Kerala,his own party man K.Karunakaran tried his best not to allow A.K.Antony to rule.When V.S Achuthanandan became CM ,his own party man Pinaray Vijayan  is not  allowing  him to rule.So if every one tries hard not to make other person successful,how we malayalees and our state of Kerala will ever prosper?

No comments:

Post a Comment